Bardarski geran

English transcription [bƏr’darski ‘gƐran]


Архитектура в Бърдарски геран

The amazing architecture of Bardarsky geran is due to the Italian architect Leopold Forrabosco invited by King Ferdinand to work on this project. Once he completed it, he stayed in Bardarsky geran together with his family. He is the person who designed the iron bridges over the Iskar River as well.
Regarding our village plan we should point out the following specifications:
• Straight streets;
• Long one-floor houses;
• acute-angle roofs inspired by Hungarian exemplars;
There are three main types of houses:
• Long house – parallel to the neighbour’s yard
• Angle-shaped
• Next-to-the road – parallel to the street
In most cases the houses used to be painted with a mixture of hydrated lime and sand; the plinth - usually coloured in black, dark brown or soot.

Bardarski geran History

The inhabitants of Bardarsky geran came from Star Beshnov aka Dudeştii Vechi, Romania. In 1892 and during the next few years Bulgarians from Serbian Banat and some German families settled in Star Beshnov thus creating their own colony and building a church. During the World War II some of the German families went back to Germany. The rest moved to Bardarsky geran, Bulgaria. Meanwhile, some of them still live in our village.

Bardarski geran Culture

In Bardasky geran there is a working library and cultural club which were founded in 1923 by Matis Sheringer – a German settler, together with a group of teachers and some cheerful Bulgarians from Banat. At first the club was based in Matis’s house and in 1958 it moved to the brand new building located in the centre of the village and it is still in use. Nowadays, our traditions and cultural inheritance are represented by an amateur ensemble for folk songs and dances.

Евгени Босилков при църквата в Бърдарски геран

Within the village area there are two Catholic churches. The active one is called “St. Joseph”. The other one is called “The Virgin Marry” and was built by the German immigrants. In addition to it there was a Catholic school and a Carmelite convent. Evgeniiy Bosilkov used to be a preacher in the village for a short period of time. He was unjustly accused of being a spy and was under the sentence of death by the communist regime in 1953. Posthumously he was announced venerable by Pope John-Paul II.

Orphanage and Kindergarten

The orphanage and the kindergarten share one building which is completely renovated and suitable for both institutions.

Football Team

It is called “Botev – Bardarsky geran”. All inhabitants are excited about the incoming football games and take part in the trainings and the organization of the events at the stadium. The maintenance of the playground is on a voluntary basis and everyone could get involved.


The Museum was built on the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of Bardarsky geran in 1987. The collection was gathered with the co-operation of ethnographers from the Regional Ethnographic Museum in Vratsa. Author of the exposition is Senior Research Assistant and PhD Yordanka Mankova. All artistic lay-out is due to Todor Mitov.
All of the original museum specimens were donated thanks to the initiative of the library secretary at that time Ms Kristina Velcheva.

Copyright © 2008-2015 Bardarski geran !EU All rights reserved.